Keyboard Tracer Tutorial
- Installation and Removal instruction
- First use of the Keyboard Tracer
- Launching the Keystrokes Logger
- Configuring the Logger settings
- Stopping of logging and quitting the Keyboard Tracer
- Viewing the Keyboard Tracer LOG
- FAQ and Usage Cases
Keyboard Tracer setup and removal
IMPORTANT! We noticed that there are several sources that distribute the cracked version of Keyboard Tracer software. We have tested each cracked version and found that all of them containing the malware and spyware inclusions. Please do not setup the “cracked versions”, it is not safe! Use official sources such as our website or CNET (download.com) to download the virus-free version.
- Download Keyboard Tracer from the official source (such as our website or CNET – download.com)
- Run the setup file
you may receive the following or similar note as we updating our tool often and Microsoft thinks that our software is very new:
Windows SmartScreen may also notify you that it prevents the program from starting. Allow Keyboard Tracer to start by using button.
- If the Keyboard Tracer is already installed, you will be asked to remove the previous version first:
- Complete the program removal wizard to uninstall the previous version
Alternatively you may use Control Panel and the Add/Remove Programs option to remove the Keyboard Tracer.
- Setup starts the installation wizard then:
- You can change the setup directory if needed.
However we recommend using the default path.
- Setup copies all the program files and displays a progress
- At the last page setup wizard will offer you two options activated by default:
– Start Logger together with Windows
– Launch Keyboard Tracer now
By default the Keyboard Tracer will show the tray icon after startup. If you want to launch Keyboard Tracer hidden, you have to stop the recording, go to settings and disable the tray icon. Memorize the hot-key which will show you the tracer window (Shift+Ctrl+K by default).
- Press Finish button to close the setup wizard
Keyboard Tracer – First Use
So now you have installed the Keyboard Tracer on your PC. If you did not use the option which launches it automatically, you may start it from Windows RUN menu or directly from program files folder. The main program module called Logger.exe which can be executed as any other Windows program. Please note that Setup does not create a shortcut on the desktop. You may create it manually if you want, however you should understand that such a shortcut will clearly indicate that your computer is monitored and protected by Keyboard Tracer.
Run and configure the Kestrokes Logger
Run the Logger.exe file to start monitoring your keyboard. The program starts logging the key presses automatically after startup. To prevent this you may execute the logger.exe file with the parameter /norun via the command line. Example: logger.exe /norun
Another parameter, /hide allows starting the keyboard logger with the invisible main window. By default the program shows the icon in the system tray. You may want to hide it too. To do this, go to the settings and disable the corresponding option. You can still show the main window by pressing the hotkeys combination Ctrl+Shift+K.
You may also search the keyboard tracer using the Windows search option:
Now the Keyboard Logger is running. You may close the main window using the button at the top right corner or use the predefined hotkeys combination. This will not quit the logger.
Configure the Logger settings
- To configure the program settings you should stop Keyboard Logger by pressing the Stop button. This will enable the Settings button. Press the Settings button to open the settings window:
Here you can specify your own path to the folder where the Keyboard Tracer should save the log files. However we recommend to use the default location.
- After making changes to options, press the OK button to save them or the Cancel button to abandon changes.
- Now you may press the Start button to start monitoring your keyboard.
Stop logging and close the Keyboard Tracer
- Press the Stop button if you need to temporary stop the keyboard logging session
- Press the Quit button if you need to stop the keystrokes logging and exit the program. The Keyboard Logger window will be closed and the logger unloaded from the memory. Please note that it may start automatically after the system reboot if the appropriate option is still active.
View the Keyboard Tracer LOG
Keyboard starts a new log file every day. To view the log file you need to open the LOG storage folder and find the appropriate file. LOG file can be opened with any web-browser such as Internet Explorer, Opera or FireFox. Depending on the version of Keyboard Tracer you use, you may need an Internet connection for proper display of the LOG file because the LOG file is using the Bootstrap CSS styles.
There are several ways to open and view the keystrokes log:
- Activate the main window by pressing the hotkeys combination, then press the Tracer button. This will open the current log file in the default web-browser. The same option can be accessed from the try icon pop-up menu.
- Use Windows File Explorer to navigate and open the folder where the log files are stored, then double click to the desired log file. This will open the log file.
- If the tray icon is visible, right click to the Keyboard Tracer icon in the system tray, then click “View current Log file” menu item if you want to open the current log (today log) or click the menu item “Open Log directory” to see all LOG files.
Keyboard Tracer log file opened in the Internet Explorer look like this:
The log contains the following information:
- Session Header – Date and time when the log session (recording) was started i.e. when you launched the Keyboard Tracer or pressed the Start button. Each Session Header is interactive and you can click on the time-stamp to expand or collapse the session log.
- Date, time and the caption (text from the headline) of the program where the keystrokes were pressed.
- List of the keystrokes registered in the specified application including the control keys (button tags). You can hide or show these control keys from the list using the topmost button called “Toggle Button Tags“
- Session Footer – Date and time when the recording session was stopped i.e. Keyboard Tracer was unloaded or when you pressed the Stop button.
FAQ and Use cases
You may want to read the following guides right after the program setup.
Question: How can I initiate the hidden recording of the keystrokes?
Answer: By default Keyboard Logger shows the noticeable tray menu so the first you should do if you want to hide the fact of the key logging is disable the tray icon . To do that, run the logger, go to the program Settings , disable the appropriate option and press OK to save settings. That’s it. If the program is configured to start together with Windows, it starts hidden after computer restart. Or you may re-run it hidden manually using the command Logger.exe /hide
Question: What are limitations of the Trial version?
Answer: Please note that trial/demo version is only for the evaluation purposes. You can’t use it normally due to trial limitations. The trial version has the following limitations:
- The unregistered version shows the following popup message when you start the recording:
- The trial version can register up to 1000 key presses after the session start
- Each session is limited by 10 minutes of recording
- When the limit is reached the main Logger window will be shown automatically even if it was hidden before
- Logs, created by the unregistered version contain a string indicating the log was recorded in a demo version.